Thursday, March 8, 2012

To charge or not to charge..?

As I am becoming more independent and nearing the end of my college experience (not to mention about to embark on a trip to Vegas) I found myself wrestling with the idea of whether or not I should get a credit card so I can start building credit.

Where should I start? Where should I go? Who should I talk to? These are questions I had no idea how to answer.. So what do you do when you have a question you need answered and don't know where to start?

Go to the internet.

I came upon a great credit card website that broke everything down and explained all the options for me based on my limited credit history. I applied for a credit card that has zero interest for a year, a rewards program and a reasonable limit so I will always be able to keep everything balanced.

4 comments:

Jonathan Reeve Price said...

How thoughtful to actually think about how to get a credit card, and which options to choose. Thanks for that link!

Jo Anna said...

Excellent research! I know so many college aged people get themselves into mountains of debt by the age of 25 so starting off small is the way to go. Building credit is important as is not allowing to get the spending out of control. Great post and good luck!

Shawn said...

A credit card is a great thing to have, if only for convenience. My very best advice is pay it off completely every month--you never pay any interest, and it's great for your credit rating.

Q the Weatherman said...

Yup, credit cards are certainly nice, but you have got to watch out for debt.
I have a friend who got herself into something like $ 2,000 in debt. The credit card company, instead of stopping her, raised her credit limit.
Personally, I have two cards. One for emergencies and another for gas and groceries (bonus points, got to love them).
Good luck on your adventures.