Monday, March 5, 2012

A Dead Dell

I was very excited when I received my Dell Laptop for my college gift from my grandparents. (They don't give high school graduation gifts, they give "welcome to college gifts") However, even though my Dell has been a trooper for the last 5 years, it seems after the last hard drive crash (3rd time) I need to look into getting a new laptop. I am aware that 5 years with a laptop is a lifetime in technology years, but I thought that if you took great care of something it was supposed to last...and not break down on you the week before midterms! After clutching to my iphone for the last week because I have been internet deprived, I've found myself eager to hunt around the web for the best laptop and price.

I first started by acknowledging that my 15" screen laptop is far too big and heavy to carry around in my backpack. So I began looking around at 10-11" laptops that would be easy to tote around without hurting my back. I came across a website that offered great prices and reviews from consumers and businesses. I decided to purchase an HP mini netbook and I look forward to being rid of my Dell that I can't quite count on anymore.

Ah, technology...can't live without it.  

4 comments:

Jonathan Reeve Price said...

So you decided on a netbook, not a tablet...was that because of the keyboard, too, beside the lower weight?

Thanks for the tip on New Egg. I hadn't seen that site before.

Katie Morgans said...

I also got my Dell about 5 years ago for a high school graduation/going to college gift. They are certainly heavy to carry to class! It has given me a few issues, but I am really hoping it can make it until after I graduate. Congratulations on your new netbook!

Lauren said...

I had an HP for seriously about 7 years, it had it's share of problems towards the end but it was the best lasting computer I've ever had!

Shawn said...

They're a bit like cars--if you have the money for parts, you can make them last for quite a while, but sometimes they just die.

They're making resistors about the size of a grain of sand now (there are probably about 400 in your iphone), so when one of those dies, it's just not possible to find and replace it.

Sad, yet awesome.